Recently we had to replace a few failed HP-3800 stack members. Luckily this is pretty easy. Execute the following command on the switch stack once the failed switch has been removed and before the replacement switch has been connected to the stack.
- Power down and remove the failed switch
- Update the switch stack for the new switch
- Locate the system mac address from the back of the switch
- switch-stack-01(config)#Stacking member <member ID> type <type ID> mac-address <mac address ID>
- Power on the new switch
- A message indicating incompatible OS may be displayed when the switch is first powered on. This will go away after a couple reboots. The new member will receive it’s OS from the commander